Meatballs have become one of my favourite go-to foods. They are very versatile, great hot, cold or frozen and reused at a later date. They work in a casserole or soup are great as a snack, kids enjoy them in lunch-boxes, sometimes I eat the same meatballs done different ways for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Always try to use fresh herbs when you can, it makes a real difference to the flavour of the mince.
- 1kg beef mince (this should make enough meatballs for this meal and have some leftover for another meal - makes about 60)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano (2 Tbs dried)
- 1 Tbs finely chopped fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 Tbs coconut flour (or other flour substitute)
Quinoa and Tomato Sauce:
- 2 cups quinoa (or make cauliflower couscous)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion chopped
- 400ml tomato puree or chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs basil pesto or 3 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- Extra basil and parmesan cheese to serve
- Soak the quinoa in a saucepan with 3 cups (750ml) water for 15 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Set aside.
- Place meatball ingredients in a bowl and using your hands mix to combine.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add the tomato purée, and basil and cook for 4 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Return meatballs to the sauce and mix to coat.
- Top the quinoa with the meatballs and sprinkle with extra parmesan and basil to serve.
Serves 4 (using 500g of mince)
Ideas for leftover meatballs:
- Re heat for breakfast with a fried egg, fried tomato and some spinach topped with basil pesto dressing
- Use in a spinach wrap with haloumi, tomato, avocado, bacon and basil pesto dressing or garlic aioli
- Make some Almost Buns and fill with chopped meatballs, salad greens, tomato, avocado, cheese and garlic aioli
- Freeze for use another day!