Lasagne has always been a family favourite. This version is packed full of vegies, delicious for dinner and even better for lunch the next day.
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1kg beef mince (same recipe can be used with 500g mince)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh oregano or 2 Tbs dried
- 1 1/2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
- 1 medium kumara finely grated
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 1 zucchini finely grated
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs basil pesto
- 1 eggplant finely sliced lengthwise and salted (this is the pasta substitute - works best with skin removed). Can also use finely sliced kumara.
- Flour Free Cheese Sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 180c
- If using Flour Free Cheese Sauce start cooking it now
- Slice eggplant thinly lengthwise, place slices on a sheet of baking paper and sprinkle salt on both sides.
- Heat coconut oil in a large, deep frying pan or pot.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add mince, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs, stir to combine, simmer while preparing vegetables.
- Add grated vegies and spinach, salt, pepper and pesto.
- Stir to combine and simmer until cooked through (approx 15mins).
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- In a ceramic baking dish layer mince first, cover with a layer of eggplant, mince, eggplant, then finish with mince.
- Top with grated cheese and bake in oven for 30mins.
- Remove from oven and leave to sit for 10 mins before serving with a simple green salad.
- Add a layer of cauliflower thickened cheese sauce to one of the mince layers and to the top before sprinkling with cheese and baking.