This is a quick and easy meal for the kids (and adults). They can also be eaten cold the next day and work well in lunchboxes.
Ingredients (to make 6 muffins):
- Coconut oil or butter for greasing
- 6 rashes of streaky bacon
- 6 smallish eggs
- Sliced cheese (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200c and lightly grease a 6-cup muffin tray.
- Use a bacon rasher to line each muffin cup, overlapping ends and using any extra to line bottom (I find rolling the rashes with a rolling pin makes them a bit thinner and easier to use).
- Crack one egg into each bacon cup, top with cheese and 1/2 of a cherry tomato.
- Bake for 15 mins until the egg whites are set.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a minute before scooping out and serving.
Instead of using a whole egg make a quiche version instead by whisking a mixture of the following:
- 4-5 eggs +
- Diced tomato
- Chopped spinach
- Grated carrot
- Grated zucchini
- Diced kumara
- Diced mushrooms
- Diced capsicum
- Finely sliced broccoli
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Any other veggies you have in the fridge or garden
Pour mixture into bacon cups and bake for 15mins until set