Everyone loves ice cream, the problem I now have with it is that one 200g serving of Tip Top French Vanilla has 40g of sugar in it!! It is nice to still be able to give the kids a treat every now and then (not to mention the parents) and I find ice cream has amazing bribing powers when it comes to getting the kids to finish their dinner!! If your diet includes dairy then this is for you :-)
- 5 eggs separated
- 600ml cream
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp powdered stevia (optional if using maple syrup but adds sweetness without carbs))
- 12 squares chopped dark chocolate
- Beat cream with maple syrup and stevia until almost forming stiff peaks.
- Beat eggs yolks into cream one at a time.
- In separate bowl beat eggs whites until reasonably stiff.
- Pour cream mixture into egg whites.
- Add chopped chocolate and very carefully fold mixture together until combined.
- Transfer to an icecream container and freeze until set (overnight usually works)
Other Flavours: (chocolate-chips optional)
- Strawberry - Fold in 1/2 cup of strawberry puree
- Mixed Berry - Fold in 1/2 cup Mixed Berry Sauce
- Chocolate - Beat 2 Tbs cocoa powder with cream
- Double Chocolate Choc Chip - Beat 2 Tbs cocoa powder with cream then slowly add 1 cup of Chocolate Sauce, stir through chopped chocolate.
- Feijoa - Add 1/2 cup pureed feijoas - This is amazing!
- Coffee and Date - Add 3 Tbs espresso coffee and 1/4 cup finely chopped dates - beat into stiff egg whites (this is by far my favourite - had to stop making it!!)
- Add anything you fancy!
- Supercharge it with a couple of scoops of 180Superfood
- This ice-cream is icier than commercial icecream, if you take it out of the freezer about 1 hour before serving it is creamier and easier to scoop.
- Fruit ice-cream is always icier because of the water content in the fruit.
- Whole pieces of fruit freeze as hard as ice so they don't work so well!
- I have made it in the past without the egg yolks (just add two more whites), it works just as well but is icier again, the yolks make it a bit more creamy. You can also just use 8 yolks and no whites which will make it creamier again.