Lately I have been making food in bulk and freezing it in batches, pumpkin puree is something I always have in the freezer now, it works really well for these sort of recipes.
This dip was inspired by a pumpkin soup recipe I really enjoy over the winter months, now I can enjoy it over in summer as well with some Primal Crackers.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 red capsicum roasted
- 50g butter
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli seasoning
- 1/3 cup cashews (optional)
- Place 1/2 a capsicum on a lined oven tray into a hot oven. Roast for 20-30 mins until skin starts to come away and flesh is nice and soft. If you don't have any pre-made pumpkin puree, put about 1/3 chopped pumpkin in with it and cook until nice and soft.
- Saute butter, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and cumin very slowly for 30mins until it caramelises and is pale brown.
- Once capsicum is cooked, remove from oven and cool.
- Peel off capsicum skin and place in a food processor with pumpkin, caramelised onion mixture and cashews. Process until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.