The beetroot and zucchini in these makes them really nice and moist and the cocoa disguises the veggies nicely - the kids will never know! Topping them with a drizzling of chocolate makes an extra special treat.
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 20mins
Yield: 30 mini muffins
- 6 eggs
- 100g butter or coconut oil
- 1 small-medium (about 4cm diameter) beetroot peeled and finely grated
- 1 medium zucchini finely grated
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup cacao or quality cocoa
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp powdered stevia (optional)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 squares chopped dark chocolate (approx 50g)
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- In a small pot melt together butter or coconut oil and maple syrup, add vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine coconut flour, desiccated coconut, cocoa, salt, stevia and baking powder.
- Add beetroot, zucchini and chopped chocolate - mix until well combined.
- Pour eggs and butter mixture into dry ingredients, gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into lined mini muffin trays.
- Bake for 20mins until firm to touch
Melt together in a small pot - 50g coconut oil, 1/2 Tbs pure maple syrup, 1/2 Tbs vanilla extract, 2 Tbs cocoa.
Place in fridge for about 10 mins to thicken slightly, drizzle over muffins.