I love carrot cake and it has always lent itself well to gluten free options, this one is nice and moist with just enough sweetness. It is my Birthday Cake treat!
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 50mins
Servings: 1, 20cm diameter cake
- 5 eggs
- 120g butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (essence but natural and without the added flavours and colours)
- 1/8 tsp powdered stevia (optional)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about one big one)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dates (I find if I soak the dates in some warm water they are much easier to chop)
- Pre-heat oven to 160c.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- In a small pot melt together butter or coconut oil and honey, add vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine mixed spice, salt, coconut flour, desiccated coconut and baking powder.
- Add carrots, dates and walnuts, mix.
- Pour eggs and butter mixture into dry ingredients, gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into a lined cake tin.
- Bake for 50mins for a cake until golden and firm to touch and inserted skewer comes out clean (honey is prone to burning so keep an eye on it)
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before icing.
- 50g diced, softened butter
- 200g diced cream cheese (I use the Philadelphia Original Block)
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon (about 1 Tbs rind and 2 Tbs juice, can add more to taste)
- 1 tsp raw honey (optional)
- 1/16 tsp powdered stevia
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric beater until light and fluffy (can help to combine with a wooded spoon first)