This has a quite a few ingredients so I make it in bulk then freeze it in 1/4 cup amounts, it is super tasty and contains NO vegetable oil, preservatives, artificial colours or flavours!
Prep time: 20mins
Yield: about 1 cup so double if you want more.
- 1 Tbs coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp whole black pepper corns
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried shrimp paste (sometimes I just use fish sauce instead)
- 12 dried or fresh chillies roughly chopped (it is quite spicy so reduce this if needed)
- 1 cup French Shallots chopped (can substitute for red onions or spring onions)
- 12 small cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh coriander roots, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh coriander stems, chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (ethnic veggie shops/supermarkets have these)
- 2 tsp grated lime rind
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbs oil (I usually just use olive oil)
- Place coriander and cumin seeds in a dry frypan and heat for 2-3 mins, shaking the pan constantly.
- Place roasted spices and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and work until they are finely ground.
- Wrap shrimp paste in a small amount of tin foil and place in hot frypan fro 3mins, turning twice.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is a smooth paste. You will need to stop and scrape down sides to get all the bits.
- Store in fridge (will keep for about 10 days) or separate into 1/4 cup portions and freeze.