This is such a great combination, fresh, rich and delicious!!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Yield: Serves about 6
- 1.5kg pork belly
- sea salt
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 4 star anise
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1.2 cup dry white wine and 1/2 cup water
- Preheat your oven to full whack, it needs to be at least 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- Place your pork on a clean work surface, skin-side upwards.
- With a small sharp knife make scores about 1 centimeter apart through the skin into the fat, but not so deep that you cut into the meat (you can always ask the butcher to do this).
- Rub salt and 1 tsp Five Spice right into all the scores you’ve just made, pulling the skin apart a little if you have to. Brush any excess salt off the surface of the skin and turn it over.
- Season the underside of the meat with a little more salt and the remaining Five Spice.
- Pour stock or wine and water, ginger and star anise into a roasting dish.
- Place your pork, skin side-up, into the roasting dish and place in the hot oven.
- Roast for about half an hour until the skin of the pork has started to puff up and you can see it turning into crackling.
- Turn the heat down to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and roast for another 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer the meat to a serving dish, cover with tin foil and leave to rest while you make your gravy.
- Pour pan juices into a small pot (skim some fat off the top if there is excess), bring to the boil and reduce slightly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk through 25g butter.
Serve with Pistachio Feta & Raspberry Salad recipe.