This is the basic recipe I use to make stock.
Prep time: 10mins
Cook time: up to 24hours - the longer you cook it for the tastier it will be
Yield: approx 5 litres
- 1 whole free-range chicken or 6 good sized beef marrow and knuckle bones
- 3 - 4 chicken feet (chicken stock - optional, they contain gelatine which adds a lot of goodness to the stock)
- 2 onions - skin on, quartered
- 4 celery stalks roughly chopped (include leaves)
- 2 large carrots roughly chopped
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Remove any excess fat from chicken (mainly in cavity).
- Place all ingredients in a large pot with 5 litres of water.
- Leave to sit for 1 hour (this helps the vinegar to draw the minerals into the broth)
- Bring to the boil, skim off any scum that rises to the top and simmer covered for up to 24hours - the longer you leave it the better it will be.
- Top up with water from time to time if it starts getting a bit low.
- Strain into a large container, reserve chicken for using as cold meat or making soup.
- Leave to cool then store in fridge (up to 5 days) or freeze in portions sizes (I do 1 - 2 cups per portion).
- Use as a base for casseroles, gravies and soups.