This is a delicious heart-warming meal for the cold winter months, served with a slice (or two) of Grain-free Seed Bread makes a delicious, fulling meal.
Prep time: 20mins
Cook time: 60mins
Yield: approx 2 litres
- 50g butter or coconut oil
- 1 small pumpkin or 1/2 large
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds (1 tsp ground)
- 4 tsp whole coriander seeds (2 tsp ground)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 25g extra butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbs freshly grated ginger
- 1 red chili (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 600ml chicken stock
- 200ml cream or coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Peel and cut pumpkin into chunks, break cauliflower into florets, peel onions and cut into quarters.
- Place all of the above and garlic (unpeeled) onto a large baking tray.
- Dice butter and spread over baking dish (or use coconut oil)
- Place cumin and coriander seeds in spice grinder and finely grind. Sprinkle half of this mixture over pumpkin and cauliflower add sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 mins until soft and smelling delicious.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat extra butter in a large pot.
- Add ginger, leftover coriander and cumin and garam masala.
- Cook for 2 mins.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully spoon pumpkin and cauliflower mixture into stock, mix to combine.
- Use a stick mixer to puree soup in pot or transfer to food processor and process in batches.
- Add cream (or coconut cream) and reheat to simmering.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish with sour cream and fresh coriander or chili flakes.