These were invented with more of a focus on 'whole foods' rather than being strictly Low Carb. I use spelt flour for a lot of the baking I do for the kids, it acts a lot more like flour but has a better nutritional profile and is more of an ancient grain. I use a mix of wholemeal and white organic spelt. If you are after a Low Carb version follow the link: Dark Chocolate Grain Free Muffins
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 20mins
Serves: 12 standard muffins
- 1 cup spelt
- 2 heaped scoops Chocolate 180 (or use extra 1/2 cup spelt)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cacao or quality cocoa
- 1/8 tsp stevia (only if not using 180)
- 120g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt (or coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup milk (or non dairy substitute)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 12 squares chopped dark (at least 70%) chocolate
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl (don't sift the 180 unless you want to get rid of the sesame seeds in it), stir through chocolate.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, remove from heat and whisk in yoghurt, milk, eggs and maple syrup.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and fold together until just just combined (do not over mix!).
- Spoon into muffin cases
- Bake at 160c for 15-20 mins until firm to the touch