I love carrot cake and it has always lent itself well to gluten free options. The cream cheese in these helps to eliminate the 'need' for icing!
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: muffins - 30mins
Servings: 10 - 12 muffins
- 5 eggs
- 100g butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (essence but natural and without the added flavours and colours)
- 1/8 tsp powdered stevia (optional)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (or 2/3 cup Coconut 180Superfood)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about one big one)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dates (I find if I soak the dates in some warm water they are much easier to chop)
- Approx 100g cream cheese (I use philadelphia, or make my own)
- Pre-heat oven to 160c.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- In a small pot melt together butter or coconut oil and honey, add vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine mixed spice, salt, coconut flour, desiccated coconut and baking powder.
- Add carrots, dates and walnuts, mix.
- Pour eggs and butter mixture into dry ingredients, gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into silicone muffin cases until half full, top with a teaspoon of cream cheese and then fill to top with mixture (they don't rise much so don't be shy when filling them up).
- Bake for 30mins until golden and firm to touch (the honey is prone to burning so keep an eye on them)
- Could also add a grated apple for some extra sweetness if needed.