This is another great one for the kids, it is especially delicious with a nice coating of butter!!
Prep time: 10mins
Cook time: 30mins
Servings: approx 24 (one 3cm x 6cm slice)
- 120g melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (I pulse them in the food processor) - optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp stevia or 1 Tbs raw honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dates
- 2 small finely grated apples or use 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 160c
- Melt butter in a small pot, leave to cool slightly then whisk in eggs
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients, grated apple and dates (I find using my hands works well to ensure apple and dates are spread evenly through the mixture)
- Add butter and egg mixture, stir until combined.
- Line a 30 x 24cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Spoon mixture into tray and press down so it is evenly spread (will be about 1.5cm thick)
- Bake for approx. 30 mins until golden and firm to the touch.
- Alternatively roll into balls and press down on lined tray to make bickies - bake 20mins
- Make a slice with a gooey date centre:
- Make recipe as above.
- Soak 1 cup of dates in hot water for about 10mins, drain and slice in half. Or just use Medjool dates that have been halved and squashed a bit.
- Spoon half of the slice mixture into a lined baking dish.
- Top with sliced dates.
- Carefully spread the rest of the slice mixture over date layer.
- Bake as above.