One of the best things about Christmas is the cake!! Now you can have your cake and eat it to with this refined-sugar free, flour free version. Keep in mind that it still has stacks of dried fruit in it so go easy!! Try to source dried fruit that doesn't have preservatives and vegetable oils used to keep it fresh and shiny. The fruit mix you can buy at the supermarket has an ingredients list as long as my arm that includes vegetable oils, colours, preservatives and flavours so it is best to avoid it.
- 2 cups chopped dates (soaked in warm water for 10mins)
- 1 1/2 cups rasins
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1 1/2 cups mixed chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almond slices)
- Grated rind of one orange
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cups coconut flour (or use an extra 1/2 cup of almond flour)
- 200g melted butter (or coconut oil)
- 4 eggs
- Juice of one orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp natural almond essence
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup (optional - I don't think it makes much of a difference to the sweetness)
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Place the soaked dates, dried fruit, chopped nuts, orange rind and flours in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, whisk in eggs, orange juice, maple syrup, vanilla and almond essence.
- Pour butter mixture into dried fruit mixture, stir to combine.
- Make strong coffee (I just make a small strong plunger coffee), stir in soda.
- Add to fruit mixture and stir.
- Pour into lined cake tin (approx 20cm square)
- Bake 150c for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, or until an inserted skewer come out clean.
- You can change up the mixture of fruit and nuts to whatever you fancy.
- Almond flour could be substituted for coconut flour - use 1 cup coconut flour.