This meal has become a family favourite. The bacon and sausage give it a lovely smokey flavour, and the chicken just falls off the bone. It is great by itself or served with cauliflower rice or quinoa.
- 2 Tbs Moroccan spice mix
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 16 chicken legs (approx)
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 rashes streaky bacon sliced
- 2 chorizo sausages sliced (or I use some organic beef and sun-dried tomato sausages)
- 1 zucchini chopped into about 2cm pieces
- 1 small eggplant chopped into about 2cm pieces
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup button mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1 Tbs chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oven to 160c
- Combine 1 Tbs of moroccan spice and coconut flour in a strong plastic bag.
- Put chicken in bag and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frypan over medium-high heat, add chicken and cook in batches for 2-3 mins each side until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, add onions and cook for 2-3 mins until softened.
- Add remaining moroccan spice, tomatoes, lemon juice and rind, stock, sausages, bacon, eggplant, zucchini, spinach and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for 5 mins until heated through.
- Place chicken in a large casserole dish, pour tomato mixture on top. Cover and place in the hot oven.
- Cook for 35 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove cover and cook another 15 mins until reduced slightly.
- Add olives and coriander and season to taste.
- Sreve by itself or with some cauliflower rice or quinoa.